There are job openings in federal agencies across the country. If you’re interested in one, visit USAJOBS.gov. It’s the official job site for the federal government. There, you can:
- Search for jobs, including ones in high demand.
- Learn how the government hires people.
- Find student job opportunities with the government.
- Learn about government jobs for non-U.S. citizens.
How to Apply for a Federal Job Through USAJOBS
You must create a USAJOBS profile to apply.
- USAJOBS requires users to have a login.gov account. Sign up with login.gov.
- Sign into USAJOBS, create your profile, and upload your resume.
- Search for jobs that interest you.
- Review the job announcements to see if you qualify.
- Prepare your application in USAJOBS.
- Submit your application through USAJOBS to the federal agency with the job opening.
Search for Jobs at a Specific Agency
Though most federal agencies post their jobs on USAJOBS, some post jobs on their websites. If you want to work for a specific agency, find its website through the A-Z Index of Government Agencies.
- Explore local and virtual federal hiring events and training opportunities.
There is never an application fee or a testing fee to apply for a government or U.S. Postal Service job.
If you’ve served in the military and want to find a federal job, check out FedsHireVets.gov. It has information on:
- Veterans’ preference
- Special hiring authorities
- Other tips for vets and transitioning service members seeking federal civilian jobs
If you’re looking for a job and you have a disability, you might consider working for the federal government.
Advantages of Government Jobs for People with Disabilities
The federal government:
- Has job openings nationwide in many different career fields
- Uses Schedule A, an optional, non-competitive hiring process that is faster and easier than the competitive hiring process
- Provides reasonable accommodations to qualified employees
You can also apply for jobs through the competitive hiring process. Many jobs open to people with disabilities use only that process.
Finding and Applying for Federal Jobs
To apply for jobs under Schedule A, you must provide proof that you have an intellectual, psychiatric, or severe physical disability.
To apply for a job online:
- Follow the application process used for all online applications
- Use USAJOBS’ tips for individuals with disabilities
To apply for a job directly through an agency:
- Contact the agency’s Selective Program Placement Coordinator (SPPC).
For more details on applying for jobs through Schedule A, read The ABCs of Schedule A.
College Students and Recent Graduates with Disabilities
If you’re a college student or a recent graduate, you can find summer jobs, internships, and permanent positions through the:
Veterans with Disabilities
If you’re a veteran with a service-connected disability, you have even more options. Learn how special hiring authorities let agencies appoint vets to jobs non-competitively.
ABOUT JEFF ALTMAN, THE BIG GAME HUNTER
Jeff Altman, The Big Game Hunter is a coach who worked as a recruiter for what seems like one hundred years. His work involves career coaching, as well as executive job search coaching, job coaching, and interview coaching. He is the host of “No BS Job Search Advice Radio,” the #1 podcast in iTunes for job search with more than 2100 episodes.
Are you interested in 1:1 coaching, interview coaching, advice about networking more effectively, how to negotiate your offer or leadership coaching? Schedule a discovery call at my website, www.TheBigGameHunter.us
Classes On Skillshare https://thebiggamehunter.us/Skillshare
Become a freelancer or hire one on fiverr.com https://thebiggamehunter.us/fiverr. I use it and I may wind up hiring you! To set up your freelance business correctly, you may want to incorporate https://thebiggamehunter.us/incorporate
Join Career Angles on Facebook and receive support, ideas, and advice in your current career and job.
Connect with me on LinkedIn www.linkedin.com/in/thebiggamehunter Mention you listen to the podcast or watch my YouTube channel.
Job Search Going Nowhere? “Diagnosing Your Job Search Problems” for Kindle on Amazon and receive free Kindle versions of “No BS Resume Advice” and “Interview Preparation.”
If you are starting your search, order, “Get Ready for the Job Jungle” on Amazon
Watch my videos on YouTube at JobSearchTV.com, the Job Search TV app for Roku, fireTV or a firestick or Bingenetworks.tv for Apple TV, and 90+ smart tv’s.
Thinking of making a career change and need some ideas that fit you. CareerFitter offers a free test and if you want more you can upgrade for the paid version.https://thebiggamehunter.us/Career
We grant permission for this post and others to be used on your website as long as a backlink is included and notice is provided that it is provided by Jeff Altman, The Big Game Hunter as an author or creator.
#federalgovernmentjobs #jobswiththefederalgovernment #governmentjobs