EP 1041 A good question and there is an answer.

Read Full Transcript

The question I received was, "to most people get jobs from networking or from job ads?" Let me give you the statistics.

Recruiters fill about 6% of all positions; job is filled about 15 to 20%. I combined the two numbers because recruiters sometimes use job ads to find people so it is just easier to combine them both. 26% are filled by job he has and recruiters.

How do the rest get filled? They get filled by networking. Here is an interesting addendum.

Most of you think of networking as the people you already know. However, there are folks your network knows that you don't know. Statistics show that 70% of the positions the filled through networking , as a result of introductions to people that you did not know at the beginning of your job search.

Catch that one! Of the privately 70% of positions are filled by networking, 70% of them are filled by introductions the people that the job hunter did not know at the beginning of the search! Almost 50%!

Your goal is to network because that is really where most of the jobs are filled – – by creating relationships with people that you don't currently know and by expanding the relationship with people that you do know.

Job ads are fine. I encourage people to work with recruiters and answer job ads. However, recruiters are not out there to help you. They are not going to be the source of the lead where they are not compensated. After all, who is a recruiter work for? There working for a company that is going to pay them.

My job is to create a venue for people to want to help you. That comes through networking.


Jeff Altman, The Big Game Hunter is a coach who worked as a recruiter for what seems like one hundred years. His work involves career coaching, all as well as executive job search coaching and life coaching. He is the host of “No BS Job Search Advice Radio,” the #1 podcast in iTunes for job search with more than 1000 episodes,“ Job Search Radio,” “and his newest show, “No BS Coaching Advice” and is a member of The Forbes Coaches Council.

Are you interested in 1:1 coaching, interview coaching, advice about networking more effectively, how to negotiate your offer or leadership coaching? Visit www.TheBigGameHunter.us and click the relevant tab on the top of the page.

JobSearchCoachingHQ.com offers great advice for job hunters—videos, my books and guides to job hunting, podcasts, articles, PLUS a community for you to ask questions of PLUS the ability to ask me questions where I function as your ally with no conflict of interest answering your questions.  

Connect with me on LinkedIn. Like me on Facebook.

Join and attend my classes on Skillshare. Become a premium member and get 1 month free.

You can order a copy of “Diagnosing Your Job Search Problems” for Kindle on Amazon and receive free Kindle versions of “No BS Resume Advice” and “Interview Preparation.” If you are starting your search, order, “Get Ready for the Job Jungle.”

Don’t forget to give the show 5 stars and a good review in iTunes

If you want to know how to win more interviews, order “Winning Interviews.” You’ll learn how to win phone interviews, in-person interviews, the best question to ask on any interview and more.

Would you like to talk through a salary negotiation or potential negotiation you’re involved with? Order and schedule time with me.

Do you have questions or would like advice about networking or any aspect of your search. Order and schedule time with me.

Would you like me to critique your resume. Order a critique from me

For more about LinkedIn, order “Stacked: Double Your Job Interviews, Leverage Recruiters and Unlock LinkedIn.”

Jeff’s Kindle book, “You Can Fix Stupid: No BS Hiring Advice,” is available on Amazon.

About the author

Leave a Comment, Thought, Opinion. Speak like you're speaking with someone you love.

%d bloggers like this: