Signs of a Toxic Organization
- A high-pressure interview. If questions are thrown at you like machine gun fire or they explain their expectations for you and the results they want seem unreasonable, you are walking into a toxic environment.
- If you look up people on LinkedIn who have done the work you will be doing at this firm and you see how long they’ve worked there and notice they don’t stay long, it is likely a toxic environment.
- A lack of transparency during the interview. Are they vague when describing your role and responsibilities? Do you notice the interview team looking at one another as though they are not sure how to answer? They should be selling you on an opportunity not trying to figure out who is going to lie to you.
- Excessive micromanagement. This happens when your interviewer is overly specific in what you should do and how you should do it. You sense not having any freedom to make your own decisions and problem-solve.
- They don’t communicate with you about your work and progress. Managers should provide quality feedback, not perpetual criticism. They also need to be available to answer questions.
Ⓒ The Big Game Hunter, Inc., Asheville, NC 2023
ABOUT JEFF ALTMAN, THE BIG GAME HUNTER
People hire Jeff Altman, The Big Game Hunter to provide No BS Career Advice globally because he makes many things in peoples’ careers easier. Those things can involve job search,
hiring more effectively, managing and leading better, career transition, as well as advice about resolving workplace issues.
He is the host of “No BS Job Search Advice Radio,” the #1 podcast in iTunes for job search with over 2700 episodes.
You will find great info to help with your job search at my new site, JobSearch.Community Besides the video courses, books and guides, I answer questions from members daily about their job search. Leave job search questions and I will respond daily. Become an Insider+ member and you get everything you’d get as an Insider PLUS you can get me on Zoom calls to get questions answered. Become an Insider Premium member and we do individual and group coaching.
Also, subscribe to JobSearchTV.com on YouTube and No BS Job Search Advice Radio, the #1 podcast for job search with more than 2700 episodes over 12+ years.in Apple Podcast, Spotify, Google Play, Amazon Music and almost anywhere you listen or watch podcasts.
You can also have your #jobsearchquestions answered Tuesdays at noon Eastern. Search for Career Coach Office Hours on LinkedIn and mark that you’re attending. You’ll have access to the recording if you miss it live.
Schedule a discovery call at my website, www.TheBigGameHunter.us to discuss one-on-one or group coaching with me
We grant permission for this post and others to be used on your website as long as a backlink is included to www.TheBigGameHunter.us and notice is provided that it is provided by Jeff Altman, The Big Game Hunter as an author or creator. Not acknowledging his work or providing a backlink to www.TheBigGameHunter.us makes you subject to a $1000 penalty which you proactively agree to pay.