6 Ways You Know It’s Time to Go
For years I have said that the person who gets ahead isn’t always the smartest or works the hardest … although those are great qualities to have. The person who gets ahead is the one who remains alert to opportunity. Sometimes those are internal to your organization. Sometimes, they are external. Sometimes they are the people willing to do the things no one else is willing to do.
The person who avoids professional disaster is the one who remains alert to signals and can “read the tea leaves.”
On the other hand, the person who avoids professional disaster is the one who remains alert to signals and can “read the tea leaves.” Here’s what to look out for:
1. You suddenly report to someone different. If you are a senior professional, the reporting structure has changed and you now are reporting a rung or two down from where you were reporting. If you are on staff, you are suddenly re-assigned without even the pep talk about this being a great opportunity.
2. Look up from your desk and see a manager or director who is around your age and content with his job. Hmm. When you ask yourself the question “Where can I really go from here?” your answer suggests improving your skills, rather than job function, because no one of value will ever leave.
3. Your firm is up for sale or was recently sold. These are pretty similar problems but slightly different. In the first case, there is a warning that business is sour or that management would like to cash out. In the second, the deal is done.
In both cases, the result will be the same — you will help the new management integrate the operation of the two firms, transferring knowledge that will help make for a smooth operation. Then you will be invited to accept a package to leave or be pushed into a dead-end job. Doesn’t sound exciting, does it?
4. Everything is just being maintained or that’s the only kind of work you’re assigned. The people who tend to advance are the ones who deliver new “bright shiny objects” to management — the new projects, the sexy work that makes everyone go “Ooooooooooh.” If you are being asked to maintain stuff, you are on the Dilbert career path.”
5. Your new boss is a jerk. No amount of charm on your part will ever take away the loathing you feel when you go to work because you dislike the person you work for. It is compounded if you get the idea that the feeling is mutual.
6. Your industry is on its deathbed. Part of what makes a person successful is business knowledge. There was a time when the “buggy whip industry” in the United States was huge. Now, you are probably wondering what I’m talking about. In 2001, every telecom firm in the world was doing extremely well. Since then, some of them couldn’t get themselves arrested,
If your industry is dying, it’s time to go before people start attending your career funeral too.
Giving yourself time to execute an effective job search before things reach crisis proportion is critical. If you stopped and started thinking about any of these signals, it’s time to act.
© The Big Game Hunter, Inc. Asheville, NC 2009, 2016, 2021
ABOUT JEFF ALTMAN, THE BIG GAME HUNTER
Jeff Altman, The Big Game Hunter is a coach who worked as a recruiter for what seems like one hundred years. His work involves career coaching, as well as executive job search coaching, job, and interview coaching. He is the host of “No BS Job Search Advice Radio,” the #1 podcast in iTunes for job search with more than 2100 episodes.
Are you interested in 1:1 coaching, interview coaching, advice about networking more effectively, how to negotiate your offer or leadership coaching? Schedule a discovery call at my website, www.TheBigGameHunter.us
Classes On Skillshare https://thebiggamehunter.us/Skillshare
Become a freelancer or hire one on fiverr.com https://thebiggamehunter.us/fiverr. I use it and I may wind up hiring you! To set up your freelance business correctly, you may want to incorporate https://thebiggamehunter.us/incorporate
Join Career Angles on Facebook and receive support, ideas, and advice in your current career and job.
Connect with me on LinkedIn www.linkedin.com/in/thebiggamehunter Mention you listen to the podcast or watch my YouTube channel.
Job Search Going Nowhere? “Diagnosing Your Job Search Problems” for Kindle on Amazon and receive free Kindle versions of “No BS Resume Advice” and “Interview Preparation.”
If you are starting your search, order, “Get Ready for the Job Jungle” on Amazon
Watch my videos on YouTube at JobSearchTV.com, the Job Search TV app for Roku, fireTV or a firestick or Bingenetworks.tv for Apple TV, and 90+ smart tv’s.
Thinking of making a career change and need some ideas that fit you. CareerFitter offers a free test and if you want more you can upgrade for the paid version.https://thebiggamehunter.us/Career
We grant permission for this post and others to be used on your website as long as a backlink is included and notice is provided that it is provided by Jeff Altman, The Big Game Hunter as an author or creator.