Tough Interview Questions: How Many Golf Balls Fit on a School Bus?

How Many Golf Balls Fit on a School Bus?

I stumbled into this question on from someone who answered in this way: You assume that the size of the bus is 35′ x 7.5′ x 6.5′. The volume of the bus equals 1706.25 cubic feet.  One cubic foot equals 1728 Cubic inches.   Therefore, 1706.2 5×1728 = 2948400 Cubic inches.  Again, it is about the process.  You can change the numbers any way that you want.

The radius of a golf ball is .85 inches.  Thus, the volume of a golf ball is for over 3 times pie times the radius of 3 equals 2.5 cubic inches.  The number of golf balls that could be accumulated in the bus is 2948400 divided by 2.5 Equals 1,179,360.  However, assuming 25% of the space is occupied by seats on the bus, that leaves about 75% of the space to accommodate balls.  As such, 75% of 2,948,400 is 2211300. Thus, the number 2 million to this, the number of golf balls that can be accommodated is 884,520.

Notice that it all works with assumptions.  That, at the end of the day, you are walking through a process starting off the size of the bus, determining the volume of the bus, translating cubic feet into cubic inches and, from there, progressing into the size of the golf ball, the volume of the golf ball, the number of golf balls that to be a common it bus and then noticing that there are Seats in there and making an assumption about them.

That’s the process. You can make up the numbers as you go along.

Ⓒ The Big Game Hunter, Inc., Asheville, NC 2020



Jeff Altman, The Big Game HunterJeff Altman, The Big Game Hunter is a coach who worked as a recruiter for what seems like one hundred years. His work involves career coaching, all as well as executive job search coaching, job coaching, and interview coaching. He is the host of “No BS Job Search Advice Radio,” the #1 podcast in iTunes for job search with more than 1800 episodes, and is a member of The Forbes Coaches Council.

Are you interested in 1:1 coaching, interview coaching, advice about networking more effectively, how to negotiate your offer or leadership coaching? Schedule a free Discovery call.

If you have a quick question for me, you can get it answered with a 3-5 minute video at Want to do it live? offers great advice for job hunters—videos, my books and guides to job hunting, podcasts, articles, PLUS a community for you to ask questions of PLUS the ability to ask me questions where I function as your ally with no conflict of interest answering your questions.  

Jeff Altman, The Big Game Hunter
Jeff Altman, The Big Game Hunter

Connect with me on LinkedIn. Like me on Facebook.

Join and attend my classes on Skillshare. Become a premium member and get 2 months free.

Watch my videos on YouTube at, the Job SearchTV app for FireTV, Roku or a firestick or for AppleTV and 90 smart tv platforms.

You can order a copy of “Diagnosing Your Job Search Problems” for Kindle on Amazon and receive free Kindle versions of “No BS Resume Advice” and “Interview Preparation.” If you are starting your search, order, “Get Ready for the Job Jungle.”

Would you like to talk through a salary negotiation or potential negotiation you’re involved with? Order and schedule time with me.

Do you have questions or would like advice about networking or any aspect of your search. Order and schedule time with me.

Would you like me to critique your resume? Order a critique from me

Jeff’s Kindle book, “You Can Fix Stupid: No BS Hiring Advice,” is available on Amazon.


About the author

Leave a Comment, Thought, Opinion. Speak like you're speaking with someone you love.

%d bloggers like this: