By Jeff Alman, The Big Game Hunter
Starting a new job can feel like moving to a new country. Your language skills may be modest. You have little knowledge of the laws, let alone the customs and traditions of the society you are entering. All you have is a passport and the goodwill of management as you enter unfamiliar borders.
1. Get to know your colleagues. Ask questions and listen to their answers. Get a sense of what is said and what is unsaid. You don’t need answers to all of your questions at once. Take your time.
2. Have lunch with different people in the department every day. Learn about the corporate culture and who the leaders are and the unofficial leaders are.
3. Get to know some of the key people in your organization and what matters to them.
4. Get connected with your boss’ objectives and how you fit into them. What are his/her challenges and how can you help meet them.
5. PLAN. Plan your time and plan how to meet your objectives. Create a schedule that allows you to stay connected with your personal life and your career objectives.
6. Succeed by completing a project within your first 60 – 90 days. Keep your boss up-to-date on what you are doing and, if uncertain about something, ask for advice.
7. On the days that you are unsure of yourself, remember the days that you were most successful. Everyone has bad days. It doesn’t mean that you are a failure or that you made a wrong choice to join the firm. Get yourself back on track.
8. Enjoy your successes. Celebrate the victories.
Joining a new firm may initially feel like moving to a new country but with time and effort on your part, you, too, can achieve the success that so many immigrants have.
Ⓒ The Big Game Hunter, Inc., Asheville, NC 2004, 2010, 2016, 2021
ABOUT JEFF ALTMAN, THE BIG GAME HUNTER
Jeff Altman, The Big Game Hunter is a coach who worked as a recruiter for what seems like one hundred years. His work involves career coaching, all as well as executive job search coaching, job coaching and interview coaching. He is the host of “No BS Job Search Advice Radio,” the #1 podcast in iTunes for job search with more than 2000 episodes and is a member of The Forbes Coaches Council.
Are you interested in 1:1 coaching, interview coaching, advice about networking more effectively, how to negotiate your offer or leadership coaching? Schedule a discovery call at my website, www.TheBigGameHunter.us
Quick question? Get it answered with a 3-5 minute video at https://thebiggamehunter.us/videoanswer. Want to do it live? https://thebiggamehunter.us/live
Learn to interview like a pro. “The Ultimate Job Interview Framework” www.TheBigGameHunter.us/interviews Kindle and print versions are available on Amazon.
Classes On Skillshare https://thebiggamehunter.us/Skillshare
Become a freelancer or hire one on fiverr.com https://thebiggamehunter.us/fiverr. I use it and I may wind up hiring you!
Join Career Angles on Facebook and receive support, ideas and advice in your current career and job.
Connect with me on LinkedIn www.linkedin.com/in/thebiggamehunter Mention you listen to the podcast or watch my YouTube channel.
Job Search Going Nowhere? “Diagnosing Your Job Search Problems” for Kindle on Amazon and receive free Kindle versions of “No BS Resume Advice” and “Interview Preparation.”
If you are starting your search, order, “Get Ready for the Job Jungle.”
Watch my videos on YouTube at JobSearchTV.com, the Job Search TV app for Roku, fireTV or a firestick or Bingenetworks.tv for Apple TV, and 90+ smart tv’s.
Subscribe And Give This Video A Thumbs Up If You Found It Helpful.
Jeff Altman owns the copyright in and to all content in and transcripts of No BS Job Search Advice Radio podcast, Job Search Radio Podcast, The No BS Coaching Advice podcast, JobSearchTV.com, and other content with all rights reserved, as well as his right of publicity.
WHAT YOU’RE WELCOME TO DO:
You are welcome to share a transcript (up to 500 words but not more) in media articles (e.g., The New York Times, LA Times, The Guardian), on your personal website, in a non-commercial article or blog post (e.g., Medium), and/or on a personal social media account for non-commercial purposes, provided that you include attribution to “No BS Job Search Advice Radio,” “Job Search Radio,”” The No BS Coaching Advice Podcast,” “JobSearchTV.com”as well as other content and link back to the TheBigGameHunter.us/url. For the sake of clarity, media outlets with advertising models are permitted to use excerpts from the transcript per the above.
WHAT IS NOT ALLOWED:
No one is authorized to copy any portion of the podcast content or use Jeff Altman’s name, image or likeness for any commercial purpose or use, including without limitation inclusion in any books, e-books, book summaries or synopses, or on a commercial website or social media site (e.g., Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.) that offers or promotes your or another’s products or services. For the sake of clarity, media outlets are permitted to use photos of Jeff Altman.